When you are both a US Resident and Non-Resident in the Same Year

If you are not a citizen of the United States but are establishing residency in the US, you will have a “dual status” tax year.  Additionally, you may have another dual status tax year at whatever point you leave the U.S.  Filing a tax return for a dual status tax year can be confusing.  Actually, it consists of preparing two separate returns (a Form 1040-NR and a Form 1040) and attaching one form to the other for filing.

Through our firm’s unique advisory-first approach to client service, we help taxpayers either entering or exiting the US navigate these challenging transitions.  We will help walk you through the process and ensure you are fully compliant with your obligations as a US resident.

Contact our firm today to discuss your dual status tax return and how we can assist you.